Reporting to the Department Head or designate, the Administrative Coordinator, BC Cancer Research Centre is responsible for providing support in areas of human resources, payroll, grant and research administration. This role, on behalf of Principal Investigators (PI’s) and leaders, monitors payroll and financial cost centres through to resolution of payroll issues. The Administrative Coordinator also provides administrative support including managing the grant application process and providing work direction to junior administrative staff in the team.
- In collaboration with the Principal Investigator(s) (PIs) coordinates the preparation and submission of grant proposals by identifying submission guidelines, collating information required and ensuring submission deadlines are met. Follows up with the granting agency on the submission of proposals, monitors post award financial accounts to ensure accuracy. Provides progress reports, highlights discrepancies and provides recommendations to resolve discrepancies and budget concerns to the PI(s) as appropriate.
- Interacts with a variety of individuals and agencies such as universities and granting agencies both national and international. Ensures flow of information with internal and external stakeholders regarding grant related matters and makes arrangements for visiting speakers and guests.
- Human resources responsibilities include recruitment of staff by posting/advertising internally and externally (UBC), coordinating interviews and screening applications for review by hiring supervisors. Manages new hires orientation process in the department and ensures all safety and personnel documentations are in place according to policies, guidelines and legislations.
- Ensures all hiring, appointment and payroll processes such as new hire letters and timekeeping are complete for employees. Liaises with various PHSA units such as Payroll and Human Resources and in some cases, UBC to ensure a seamless process and minimize errors. Brings issues and recommendations of remedies to department head or designate for approval.
- Acts as the main contact for ordering supplies for the department and approves lab and office supplies by performing duties such as submitting purchase requisitions and obtaining authorizing signature as necessary. Manages and processes various requisitions such as travel, expense reimbursements, cheque requests, and honorariums for the Department Head and PIs. Acts as liaison with various departments of BCCA/PHSA including purchasing, stores, and finance to obtain information and follow-up on the status of outstanding issues and requests.
- Coordinates registration and travel arrangements for staff attendance at seminars and meetings. This includes completing registration (on-line or phone), abstract submission, making travel and lodging reservations, culminating expense reimbursements to the attendee and/or cost recovery from the conference organizers as appropriate.
- Provides work direction to junior and contract administrative staff including orientating new staff and assigning and reviewing work, coordinating work assignments to ensure completion, answering questions and providing support, ensuring policies and procedures are followed and providing input to performance evaluations as required.
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Diploma in a relevant area such as business administration or finance from a recognized college plus three (3) years’ recent related experience a research environment and in project management.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to demonstrate good judgment, tact and discretion. Detail oriented and able to complete accurate work in a timely matter. Demonstrated time management skills and ability to assist others in meeting deadlines. Knowledge of and experience with grant applications. Knowledge and experience in budget preparation, tracking expenditures and identifying sources of variance. Proficient in scientific and medical terminology. Ability to work both independently and as team leader to organize work and manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment. Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and resolve administrative issues/problems. Fully proficient in the use of a variety of software packages including word processing, spreadsheets and databases and related equipment. Demonstrated ability to evaluate personal work and existing systems and identify areas for improvement. Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com – Please put “Admin Coordinator” and your full name and Job title in the subject line.