Animal Tech 3 (UBC22435/- MO1601)
Researchers in the Department of Molecular Oncology at the BC Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, use the latest technologies to rapidly identify genes that are involved in the development of cancer. The Aparicio Lab has an immediate opening for an Animal Research Technician who will be involved in planning and performing in drug pharmacology directed at human tumours with assays in immunodeficient mice (xenotransplants).
Working under the supervision of senior lab personnel and the Principle Investigator in Molecular Oncology.
- Plans and performs experiments utilizing complex procedures and/or techniques.
- Processes tissue samples and carries out primary cell isolation as instructed.
- Carries out laboratory techniques following standard operating protocols.
- Maintains records of both animal data and lab experimental data; when required will summarize results in research reports and lab presentations.
- Perform genetic analysis of genomic DNA using molecular biology techniques such as PCR, DNA isolation, tissue digestion and gel electrophoresis.
- Assists in the daily care and health monitoring of transgenic animals and maintains colonies of human tumour bearing immunodeficient animals.
- Carries out and oversees procedures involving immunization, oral gavage, injections, tumour innoculation, tumour volume measurements, blood and tissue collection, surgical procedures, necropsy, and post-operative care.
- Be able to recognize and resolve behavioral and/or housing issues; may provide technical instruction and training for other staff and/or trainees for those activities.
- Performs computer data entry and prepares standard reports of study results.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor(s) which might include but not limited to assist in writing or updating of new and/or current SOPs, update of animal ethics certificates, provide assistance to other researchers within the group and when required provide technical training to other animal users
- On a rotation basis, must be available for emergency calls 24/7 and respond appropriately.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Exercises professional judgment in the overall software development process
Accountable for the generation of accurate analysis tools that will have significant research progress implications.
Supervision from Principle Investigator or designate. Results reviewed weekly for achievement of overall objectives.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant science discipline or graduation from a technical college or institute.
- A postgraduate degree is preferred.
- CALAS certification (e.g. RLAT) is an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Will hold or complete all relevant University of British Columbia safety courses including biosafety and chemical safety.
- Extensive experience with cell culture and aseptic technique preferred, involving both isolation and maintenance of rodent primary cultures and cell lines.
- Experience in the use and handling of hazardous materials such as biological agents, radioactive substances and/or cytotoxic drugs is essential.
- Demonstrate understanding of experimental design and ability to perform and troubleshoot basic molecular and cellular biology techniques which could include the following: RNA/DNA isolation, PCR, gel electrophoresis, enzyme digestion, and DNA quantification.
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain a detailed record keeping and to interpret experimental result data which will be translated into research reports.
- Experience in the monitoring and management of human tumour bearing animals.
- A working knowledge of the CCAC guidelines and compassion and sensitivity for animals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact positively and productively with other team members are essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills both one on one and in a group setting.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Only those applicants shortlisted will be contacted.
If interested, please send a CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com and quote job number (UBC22435/- MO1601) in the subject line.