Assists with in vivo and in vitro experiments related to research in breast cancer. Performs animal care and general lab duties as required. This job will provide an opportunity to learn new techniques and gain further experience in cell biology and in vivo techniques.
Reports to and receives general guidance from the Laboratory Manager and Principal Investigator (Faculty member). Will interact with post-docs, graduate students, and technicians in the lab.
- Carries out all laboratory techniques following established standard operating protocols.
- Assists with mouse experiments, involving procedures working with tumor xenografts samples which can include immunization, oral gavage, injections, tumour inoculation, tumour volume measurements, blood and tissue collection, surgical procedures, necropsy, and post-operative care.
- Assists in mouse breeding, pairing up male and female mice, health monitoring and weaning, etc.
- Process clinical tissue samples and primary cell isolation; help maintains sample information database.
- Performs general lab related duties as required or assigned by supervisor(s).
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
The work requires attention to detail. Errors, if undiscovered, could have a major impact on the projects of other lab members.
Works under general supervision and instruction of the Lab Manager, project lead, and supervisor.
High School graduation. Some additional training in a related field. Minimum of 2 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in laboratory animal field preferred. Experience working with immunocompromised mice, or transgenic/knockout mice, would be beneficial. Thorough knowledge of guidelines of the Canadian Council of Animal Care regulations. Effective oral and written communication and organizational skills. Ability to work both independently and within a team environment. Ability to lift up to 20 kg.
To apply, please send CV and Cover letter to email@example.com. Please include your name and position title in the subject line.