A position is open immediately for a UNIX systems administrator to work with our interdisciplinary team of researchers and software developers at the British Columbia Cancer Agency (BCCA). We are seeking a creative, experienced, and dedicated individual to play a key role in developing and maintaining our computing infrastructure, including our high-performance computing cluster, software environment maintenance, web service backend, and file system maintenance. The successful candidate will join Dr. Sohrab Shah’s computational cancer biology research lab, and work closely with the larger systems team at the BCCA as well as other software developers, staff scientists, post-doctoral fellows and graduate students in the lab operating at the leading edge of the field of cancer genomics. Our laboratory has recently made meaningful advances in understanding of tumour evolution and the software platforms developed in the lab will be used by world-leading scientists at the BC Cancer Agency and international collaborators to gain insight into how cancers initiate, develop and acquire resistance to treatment. More info on the research we conduct can be found here: http://compbio.bccrc.ca
Working independently and reporting to the Principal Investigator in Molecular Oncology or designate, and in conjunction with investigators within the BCCA, UBC and internationally.
- Maintenance and configuration of high performance computing environments
- Deployment and maintenance of web applications/services in Linux environments
- Development of HPC infrastructure using cloud computing services, and migration of existing on-site data analytics to the cloud
- Unix support for lab personnel
- Maintenance of distributed file systems
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Accountable for the generation of quality software and maintainable computing infrastructure that will have significant research progress implications.
Supervision from Principal Investigator or designate. Results reviewed for achievement of overall objectives.
May help to supervise undergraduate trainees and/or junior software developers.
- Minimum of 2+yrs work experience
- Experience with scientific high performance computing environments and solutions (e.g. Oracle Grid Engine)
- Experience with software and package installation and maintenance on Linux systems
- Experience deploying and maintaining web applications/services in Linux environments
- Strong verbal/written communication skills and willingness to work in a team
- Undergraduate degree or technical diploma in computer science or information technology preferred
- Professional programming experience in a commercial software development environment preferred
- Experience building and integrating back-end web services (using JSON, AJAX, REST)
- Working experience with Java and Maven
- Knowledge of Nginx or other webservers
- Familiarity with Python
To apply: please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, please include the position title in the subject line.